Saint Margaret’s Church, Cley next the Sea, Norfolk
St. Margaret’s is the Parish Church of the village of Cley next the Sea. Once Cley was next the sea and a busy port for Norfolk, important for the agricultural in the surround county. Today Cley overlooks the silted up river and the encroaching salt marshes…..no ships to see these days.
Like many of the churches in Norfolk and Suffolk it is a deliberately large building. Each village of consequence using its church as a symbol of its wealth. That wealth came from sheep (wool) and other agricultural activities from this fertile area of England.
St. Margaret’s dates back to 1320. The massive outer doorway was added much later and adds to the already complex design of the architecture….and of course gives added stature. Externally you can also see what remains of the now derelict north and south transepts…ruins they may be but they add some extra character to the church. Ornate as the outside is the interior is very plain and simple, perhaps the wooden roof adding the most interest to the nave.
Construction is a mix of stone and of course Norfolk’s famous flint, ideal for surround walls and paths.
(C) David Oakes 2017