Our Lady of Kazan, Zelenogorsk, Russia
Zelenogorsk is on the Gulf of Finland just north of St. Petersburg. The church was built in 1915 when this area was part of the Grand Duchy of Finland. In terms of churches it is not that old. None the less in its short life it has seen much turbulence of wars and revolution …and in that time suffered the consequences of such violent actions.
After the Soviet Army invaded during WW2 the church was used as a warehouse.
Today you would be hard pressed visualise such times as Our Lady of Kazan, which is an Russian Orthodox Church, was renovated in the 1970’s to much of its former glory.
To say the interior is lavish is perhaps an understatement. It is a mix of gold and brass which helps display the enormous collection of historic Icons that are on display.
The church was re-consecrated in 1990 and once again a place of regular worship.
For a church that has endured such violence and turmoil it setting is surprisingly tranquil….surround by tall trees on the edge of a woodland area Our Lady of Kazan is set in the perfect Zelenogorsk setting…
(C) David Oakes 2017