Lens-Artists Challenge #23: CELEBRATIONS


And the Band Played on….

The location is Youlgrave, a Derbyshire village high in the Limestone district known as the White Peak.  The Celebrations, which indeed they are, form part of the villages Well Dressing ceremony. Water here was always a precious commodity and the Wells were seen as a blessing from God.  So each year the Wells within the village are ‘Blessed’ thanks given. Each of the village Wells is ‘Dressed’ for the celebrations and the procession pauses at each in turn.



The Youlgrave Village Band is an essential to the villages celebrations and a key event in there musical calendar


One little quirk about Youlgrave is that the name is spelt in two ways ….the alternative is Youlgreave.  Even within the village signs at various buildings differ and even on maps there has been some uncertainty. The one thing the villagers all agree on is that the Well Dressing Custom must be maintained.

This Derbyshire tradition of Well Dressing also occurs in other Derbyshire villages across the summer months…each with there own themes.

Just an idea for this weeks Lens-Artist Challenge #23

9th December

(C) David Oakes 2018


Silent Sunday….So Off to Church


The Church of Saint John the Baptist in the village of Horningsham

This lovely 12th century country church is the Parish Church of  Horningsham, a small village in Wiltshire and just about on the border of neighbouring Somerset.

Like all old churches Saint John’s has undergone several ‘makeovers’ over the centuries.  The Bell Tower was added in the 16th century and much of the structure rebuilt ii 1844.

The village of Horningsham is also a part of the Longleat Estate and was once an important agricultural and timber centre of the estate.

But times change and Longleat is now much more well-known as a Tourist Theme Park… the first to introduce Lions and other Wild animals in a Safari Park.

Longleat House, majestic in style, is itself rich in history and well worth time spent visiting.


2nd December

(C) David Oakes 2018

Many Never Came Home….



A Soldiers Room

So many never came home to their homes…….tomorrow is Remembrance Sunday when at the 11th Hour, on the 11th Day of the 11th Month, 1918, hostilities ceased.

Sadly we stumble on without learning the lessons of History

10th November

(C) David Oakes 2018